Welcome to Duncan and Amanda's Geocaching Page. THIS IS A SPOILER SITE! Be aware that we post photos and information about our cache finds.

Monday, December 27, 2004

Wile E. Coyote Found!

Well, I set out to find one on my own this morning on the way to work. Unfortunately, all I had was the waypoint in my device, so it proved to be more difficult than it had to be. To top it off, I committed one of the caching deadly sins: I didn't take a waypoint of my parking spot before beginning my trek. Dumb, I know!

Anyhow, it began on Addie Roy Road...



(which turned out to be the wrong place to start out) and led me up a trailhead that peaked out over Bee Caves Road and an awesome view of Austin's hill country.



After a nice hike up and down the cliff, I found myself climbing a ravine behind an old green water tower. The ravine was filled with very loose rocks and became quite difficult to climb. Eventually, I reached the top (not before coming across the path of a REAL coyote) and found myself starring at a fence line with the following signage...



...OK, now I'm getting concerned, but hey! the GPSr says I'm only .11 miles away... so I continue walking around the fence line and discover that the US property is actually a military installation...



...So, as I'm walking in between TWO fenced off areas in a space about 10' wide, I finally see something more inviting...



...Yes, that's a Greek Orthodox church. Oh, what's this to my left? It looks like a cell tower...



...Indeed, it is. OK, so far we have a Bee Caves overlook, a wild coyote, a green water thingy, rocky ravine, a US military installation, Greek Orthodox church and a cell tower all on the same trek and before 8:30AM! What else can this cache possibly hold in store?!

As it turns out, the military installation is the 111th Area Support Group reservation....



Pretty cool, uh? That's not all though. Check out what they keep in the front yard:



Here's some other cool pics I was able to catch on the paved road out of the area...



UPDATE

This one was cool enough to take Amanda to see. So this afternoon, after work we headed back up... and get this... I had her take the same route! Cruel, I know - but I wanted to share my experience with her.

Here's our pictures (sorry for quality, I had to use my camera phone)







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home